About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I run an IT Security consulting firm based out of India. We started off from scratch in 2001 when I was 21, and have offices in Mumbai, Bahrain, and UAE. The idea behind the blog is to share the stories of how we run the business, the deals we make, the deals that break, the heartburn, and the sheer joy.

The Ultimate Startup Guide

The Ultimate Startup Guide is an e-book that provides answers to all your questions related to starting and growing a business in India. Everything you wanted to know about entrepreneurship in India from ideation to registration to marketing to hiring. The book contains a large number of practical examples, anecdotes, interviews, and motivational material to help you get started, and to grow rapidly in a booming Indian economy. If you've got the idea, this book will help you through with the execution and realize your dreams. Here are some of the key questions you will find answered in this book:
  • When starting a business, what are the legal issues involved?
  • What form of incorporation is better suited to which type of business?
  • What tax issues are involved?
  • How do I start a business and what are the pitfalls?
  • How do I market my business in the absence of significant funding?
  • How do I get funded?
  • What are the basic accounting concepts I should be aware of?
  • What is a business plan and how should I build one?
The brief table of contents of the book is as follows:
  1. Getting started
  2. Ideation
  3. Forms of Enterprises
  4. Funding
  5. Basic Accounting and Taxation
  6. Import and Export Licensing
  7. Trademark and Patenting
  8. Rules for NRIs and Foreigners
  9. Building a Business Plan
  10. Marketing on a Shoestring
  11. Website and Branding
  12. Women Entrepreneurs
  13. Templates
To order the Ultimate Startup Guide - email me at kkmookhey@gmail.com.

Details of the book are:
Title: The Ultimate Startup Guide
Author: Kanwal Mookhey
Pages: 150
Additional: Companion CD contains numerous templates for building your business plan, calculating cashflow, preparing profit and loss, and balance sheets, preparing invoices, your resume and profile, marketing material, websites, contracts, and many other useful and motivational material.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The greatest high from being an entrepreneur?

Running one's own business has lots of ups and downs, pretty much like everything else in life. Only in this case, the sine curve is more acutely experienced, because the highs are often of your own making, so the joy from successes is higher. And often, you have only yourself to turn to for recovery when things go wrong. So which are those moments, when one feels simply great, when the adrenalin rushes in, and you know you made the right choices, and when at the crossroads of life you took the right path?

There are many moments where one might think - this is it! This is exactly why I did what I did. It could be when a big deal comes through, something you've been obsessively thinking about and working on, and somewhere at the back of your mind you know the odds are so high against you getting such a deal, and then it finally does come through. It could be when a long-pending payment comes through. The relief and joy of seeing the cash in the bank. It could be when a client writes a testimonial that just makes your day. It could also be when you go out and in a flurry of instant gratification buy yourself a spanking new possession.

But I think the greatest high comes when someone else does something amazing. You've heard and experienced all about it being a "people" economy, you've gone through the pains of constant turnover and people quitting even before a year is over. But then, there comes along someone who works for you, and she's joined you as a novice, fresh out of college. And you've seen her working diligently and quietly, with a determination that harks back to your own days of struggle. And you know she's determined to get there, and you've helped her along, mentored her. And then she comes out with this absolutely amazing piece of work - which you honestly have to admit - is simply the best piece of work ever produced at your firm. And it's not just a fluke. In fact, it epitomises the rest of her work, but this piece is in the public domain, and it gets her and your firm positive reviews. That's when you know you made the right choices, and took the right turn on the crossroads, because nothing beats that kind of a high.

I would have loved to have pointed you to the work that the lady in question produced, but anonymous blogging has its restrictions, and this is one of them. But way to go! Now, if only I could have two more people like that...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post! I agree completely - it's totally about the people. You will have to start feeling that people who work along with you are smarter than you - and if not, encourage them to become smarter.

You cant do everything yourself!

Kanwal K Mookhey said...

Ashish: thanks! My biggest regret, in fact, is that we haven't been able to groom someone to take over from me. But well, we're now on the lookout. Hey, briefly checked out your site. Looks pretty good, will read more!

Rio said...

Hi Mr Mookhey,

I would like to start a sole Proprietorship firm from home. I checked with my C.A for the formalities he asked me to get the Shop & Establishment Licence registered in the same address as home and secondly to get a Current A/C in the name of the firm that, I am going to operate in. I checked out the procedures online, however am confused with the documents required for the S&E license. Could you please provide me the info. Also, I am staying in a place which is owned by my mother, so how do, I go about it. Please provide me the entire set of documents that would be required to get this S&E. Regards Rosario
Please send me the info in j.rio.fernando@gmail.com / j.rio.fernando@hotmail.com

planetsaro said...

I need to know if I can run a proprietorship firm legally at home. I need to know If I can use domestic electricity connection for my home based IT Software Services.

PS: Training is done at client location and IT based services like doing client specific software projects at home.

Unknown said...

Thanks For Sharing!!
LeadNXT provides a vast variety of Management Services required for Generation and Follow of Leads, one among which is
Virtual mobile Number provider in Gurgaon
.

mahendra said...

hello...
i was going through your blogs and found that your plan has been selected
for the 2nd rounds at TiE-ISB Connect...actually even i'm going to be there
and would love to catch up with you...lemme know if we can meet...
my email id is: famousjyotish9999@gmail.com

MAHENDRA said...

Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I
will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again

Priyanka Chopra said...

Really Best post this is - Get Download Business PPT Template for Presentations and File Your GST Online in India.

If your are searching for Online GST Registration in Delhi, then you may go with SK Tax law firm - best accounting consultant in India.

burkkevin said...

It was not first article by this author as I always found him as a talented author. Charlie Prince Jacket

eddielydon said...

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. Wolverine Leather Jacket

Jobi Johnson said...

I must say that you are my favourite author. You always bring surprised things for me everytime I see your articles. Great efforts!!. Kanye West Donda Vest

unknown said...

Thanks for sharing very informative playboy hoodie article. Please keep share your lovely article. You can get more latest ideas from here.

superhoodshop said...

I See Supreme Hoodie available in different colors and styles. Get amazing hoodies and Sweatshirts at big discounts.superhoodshop

fubuofficial said...

Your blog is always a source of inspiration and insight. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise with us.Fubu ClothingFubu Clothing