About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I run an IT Security consulting firm based out of India. We started off from scratch in 2001 when I was 21, and have offices in Mumbai, Bahrain, and UAE. The idea behind the blog is to share the stories of how we run the business, the deals we make, the deals that break, the heartburn, and the sheer joy.

The Ultimate Startup Guide

The Ultimate Startup Guide is an e-book that provides answers to all your questions related to starting and growing a business in India. Everything you wanted to know about entrepreneurship in India from ideation to registration to marketing to hiring. The book contains a large number of practical examples, anecdotes, interviews, and motivational material to help you get started, and to grow rapidly in a booming Indian economy. If you've got the idea, this book will help you through with the execution and realize your dreams. Here are some of the key questions you will find answered in this book:
  • When starting a business, what are the legal issues involved?
  • What form of incorporation is better suited to which type of business?
  • What tax issues are involved?
  • How do I start a business and what are the pitfalls?
  • How do I market my business in the absence of significant funding?
  • How do I get funded?
  • What are the basic accounting concepts I should be aware of?
  • What is a business plan and how should I build one?
The brief table of contents of the book is as follows:
  1. Getting started
  2. Ideation
  3. Forms of Enterprises
  4. Funding
  5. Basic Accounting and Taxation
  6. Import and Export Licensing
  7. Trademark and Patenting
  8. Rules for NRIs and Foreigners
  9. Building a Business Plan
  10. Marketing on a Shoestring
  11. Website and Branding
  12. Women Entrepreneurs
  13. Templates
To order the Ultimate Startup Guide - email me at kkmookhey@gmail.com.

Details of the book are:
Title: The Ultimate Startup Guide
Author: Kanwal Mookhey
Pages: 150
Additional: Companion CD contains numerous templates for building your business plan, calculating cashflow, preparing profit and loss, and balance sheets, preparing invoices, your resume and profile, marketing material, websites, contracts, and many other useful and motivational material.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Escape from Cubicle Nation

I chanced upon this really cool blog Escape from Cubicle Nation by Pamela Sims, after reading a post on Guy Kawasaki's blog.

Her "Open letter to CXO's" is exceptional, wonderful, and very insightful. I have been guilty of not doing a number of items on her list. On the other hand, we've done at least some of those. The only excuse I have had is the fact that being the founder of the company, I have ended up spending more time on project execution than on actually running the company, and managing the teams. In our short-sighted objective of meeting next quarter's revenue targets, we've lost sight of the more long-sighted goal of grooming a leader to take over from me. Nevertheless, every new hire I make is done with the thought whether he/she can eventually take over from me. Sadly, that has not yet happened at least for operations out of our home base. We've got a brilliant chap to run the Middle East show for us.

Last week, I happened to be back home for a 5 day short trip, and realised how important it is for me to now stop executing consulting projects, and take a step back. To spend more time looking at what I need to do to build a great team back home, and to grow the business. One key decision we took was that my profile would now no longer be part of any proposals we send out. Instead, we would take the risk of losing the projects or use external consultant profiles if the need arose. That's the only way to extricate myself out of this.

But coming back to Pam's post. I love her points about really looking into people's eyes and learning who they are, and what drives them, and where is it that they want to go. And also about teaching them how to create wealth. In fact, my constant refrain within my firm is usually that what I've done, anyone can do. But I think now is the time when I really get down to brass tacks and show them how to actually do it. Another fantastic point is to ensure goodwill is maintained when someone decides to leave the company. With the exception of a couple of people, we are on great terms with our alumni, and that itself has resulted in significant revenues. The other thing we do is not to watch the clock. We don't bring up the time/leave rulebook unless the case is severe. We've tried to create a results-oriented culture, but this again needs constant attention and mentoring - something I have not been able to do very well so far.

No comments: